Magnesium vs. Aluminum
Imagine a car made entirely of die cast aluminum parts. Now imagine that exact same car made from die cast magnesium parts. The magnesium car would be 1/3 lighter in weight than its aluminum cousin. The magnesium die cast parts outperform aluminum ones in so many ways. The advantages include:
- 33% lighter than aluminum.
- Similar or greater mechanical properties.
- Lower working temperatures extend die life and reduce energy consumption during production.
- Machining is faster and easier and machining tools last significantly longer.
- Superior thin-walled near net shape casting of larger, more complex parts so there are fewer components and less assembly required.
- Greater general corrosion resistance.